Kung Pao Tofu
– 1 lb of diced firm tofu, frozen, thawed, drained.
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1/2 cup water
– 1/3 cup soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
– 1/2 cup onions, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
– 1/2 cup peanuts or cashew nuts (optional)
– In a small bowl, mix together the water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper and cornstarch.
– Add fried tofu and sauce to the skillet and cook for another few moments until your sauce has thickened up. Add some peanuts if you wish.
– Kung Pao tofu can be served over steamed rice if you like, then sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the top.
Note: Various vegetables, such as parsley, cabbage, peas, or mushrooms can be added to the Kung Pao tofu to meets your vegetarian/vegan taste.